150g Split Red Lentils
150g Yellow Split Peas
50ml Coconut oil
1tsp Cumin Seeds
1/2 tsp Mustard Seeds
1/4 tsp Asafetida
12 Cherry Tomatoes
1 tsp Salt
3 tsp Ground Coriander
1 tsp ground Cumin
1/2 tsp Garam Masala
2 Green Chillies
3 Garlic Cloves
Pinch of Salt
1. Rinse the lentils and yellow split pea and drain.
2. Add 700mls of boiling water to the lentils and spplit peas and bring to the boil. Skim off the froth. Simmer for 25 minutes and add 1tsp of oil.
3. Using a pestle and mortar, crush the chillies and garlic with a pinch of salt. Depending on personal preference you can leave the seeds of the chilli in or take them out.
4. Heat the remaining coconut oil in a frying pan. Add the cumin seeds and the mustard seeds until they pop.
5. Stir in the asafetida and reduce the heat.
6. Add the tomoatoes, masala paste, salt, ground coriander, ground cumin and tumeric. Stir this into the cooked lentil mixture.
7. Add 80 ml of boiling water and simmer for 3 minutes.
8. Add the garam masala and fresh coriander.
9. Serve with Basmati rice or chapati.