1 tablespoon Olive Oil
1 Large Onion - finely chopped
4 garlic cloves finely chopped
1 teaspoon cumin seeds
400g kidney beans (or two tins)
2 teaspoons smoked paprika
8 flour tortillas
A 'clutch' of coriander leaves
200g tub of salsa
1. Heat the oil in a large frying pan and cook the onion and garlic for 2 minutes.
2. Add the cumin seeds and cook for 1 further minute
3. Tip in the beans, smoked paprika and a splash (about 20 ml) of water.
4. Using a potato masher, break the beans down as they warm through to make a rough puree. Season to taste.
5. Spread the refried beans onto 4 of the tortillas and spread them out with a spoon. Scatter the coriander over the top.
6. With the remaining tortillas, dollop some salsa onto each of them spreading it out with the spoon. Then use these to top the beaned tortillas like a sandwich.
7. If there is still bits of bean and such in the pan then wipe it clean (make sure its not hot first!)
8. Return the frying pan to heat and cook each tortilla sandwich for roughly 2 mins on each side at a medium heat, or until they are crisp and golden. Server them warm and cut into wedges with extra salsa and a salad.